When It Comes To Signs, The Right Choice of Materials Can Make All The Difference
When it comes to creating impactful signage for your business, the right choice of materials can make all the difference. From indoor to outdoor use, exposure to sunlight, and longevity, selecting the appropriate signage material is crucial for achieving a lasting impression.
In this trimmed-down guide, we explore a few example materials available for business signs and provide insights on how to choose the one that best suits your specific needs.
- Vinyl is a versatile and popular material for creating signs, thanks to its adhesive backside that makes installation a breeze.
- Vinyl signs are particularly well-suited for indoor and outdoor applications. Their durability and weather resistance ensure they can withstand the elements, making them ideal for outdoor signage such as shopfronts, billboards, and vehicle wraps.
- Vinyl signs adhere well to various surfaces, including walls, glass, and even floors, allowing you to effectively communicate your messages in retail spaces, offices, and events.
- Acrylic, also known as Plexiglass, is a popular choice for both indoor and outdoor signage.
- Acrylic offers a high-gloss finish and clarity, giving signs a professional and polished look.
- Acrylic signs are UV-resistant, weather-proof, and can withstand exposure to sunlight, making them suitable for long-term outdoor use.
3. Aluminium Composite Material (ACM):
- ACM combines the durability of metal with the flexibility of plastic, making it ideal for outdoor signage.
- ACM is lightweight, ensuring easy installation, and is resistant to corrosion, UV rays, and extreme weather conditions.
- ACM signs are long-lasting, providing businesses with a reliable and enduring advertising solution.
- Aluminium is a reliable and durable material that is widely used in the sign industry. Its strength and resistance to corrosion make it perfect for outdoor signage, such as shopfronts, outdoor displays, and directional signs.
- Aluminium signs are also a popular choice for indoor applications too, including reception areas, wayfinding signage, and branding displays.
- It is commonly used in the construction of 3D, built-up letters and signs
- Wooden signs have a classic and timeless appeal, adding a touch of elegance to any business.
- While primarily intended for indoor use, treated wooden signs can also be utilised outdoors with proper maintenance applied.
- Wooden signs can be cut to shape easily with CNC and water jet cutters.
- Signs made from wood can be a highly sustainable signage solution.
Choosing the Right Signage Material for Your Needs
Consider the following factors when selecting a suitable signage material…
a) Indoor or Outdoor Use:
- Determine whether your sign will be displayed indoors or outdoors.
- Indoor signage materials need to be visually appealing and resistant to wear and tear, while outdoor signage requires durability against harsh weather conditions.
b) Exposure to Sunlight:
- If your sign will be exposed to direct sunlight, opt for UV-resistant materials like acrylic or ACM, which will ensure fade resistance and longevity.
- Assess the intended lifespan of your signage. For short-term campaigns, materials like acrylic may be cost-effective, while for a long-lasting solution, aluminium or ACM offer excellent durability.
- If eco-friendliness is a priority for your business, consider recyclable materials like aluminium, or wooden signs made from sustainably sourced wood. Do factor in any finishing products, such as paints and lacquers if sustainability is an important issue for your business.
Selecting the right signage material is a serious decision that can significantly impact your business’s image and the longevity of your signage. Understanding the characteristics of different materials and considering factors such as indoor vs. outdoor use, exposure to sunlight, longevity, and sustainability will help you make an informed choice.
At Fabricut, we specialise in providing comprehensive signage solutions tailored to meet your specific requirements. With our expertise, quick turnaround times, and nationwide convenience, we aim to become your trusted partner in the sign industry.