Displayed below are the most frequently asked questions that we get asked, here at Fabricut. As a trade sign supplier, we always strive to answer any questions that our clients have and provide signage solutions that are best suited to them.

How can I reduce heat coming through a shop window?

Heat generated from the sun coming through a south facing shop window is a common problem. However, one solution that we can provide is called solar film.

Solar film is a reflective, semi-transparent material (similar to vinyl) that can be applied to the windows, which reduces solar heat and UV rays up to 80%. Thus reducing the temperature behind the glass and therefore reducing the heat in the shop or property.

What causes a printed sign to fade in colour?

The colour of all signage will tend to fade over time due to the effects of UV rays (from sunlight). At Fabricut, we pride ourselves on printing signs that last for as long as possible.

Printed inks typically last a minimum of 3 years, with specific colours fading first, such as cyan and magenta. We offer UV lamination; to help extend the lifespan of printed inks and reduce the rate of fading.

Do you cut sign blanks to size, or to any shape?

Yes, we actually have a dedicated service offering sign blanks and sign panels for the trade. We can cut the following materials to any size or shape: acrylic, aluminium composite sheet, MDF, stainless steel, aluminium and PVC foam.

Do I need planning permission to get a sign installed?

Usually, every sign must receive some form of permission before it can be installed. Most businesses rent the space they operate in and the first point of call should be your landlord or building owner. Obviously, if you own your building then you won’t need to acquire this type of permission.

If your sign is to be displayed on the outside of your premises then planning permission must be applied for with your local council. If you’re in a listed building or a building with other conditions you may need to apply for planning regardless of whether it is inside or out. Always check with your local planning authority first to check.

Fabricut can offer additional services, including surveys and drawings for the purpose of applying for planning permission. We can fully manage your signage project from start to finish.

Why do stainless steel letters tarnish?

The standard grade of stainless steel used in the signage industry is 304. This grade of stainless steel will tarnish from salt particles and other chemicals found in the air.

We recommend marine grade stainless steel for external signs, especially for those in costal areas. It’s a higher-grade stainless steel; that is longer lasting and does not tarnish as easily.

By cleaning the stainless steel annually, the tarnishing of the sign can be prevented. Get in touch if you are interested oin one of our signage maintenance contracts.

Do powder coated signs fade?

If you have south-facing signs, then they will inevitably fade in time and quicker than those facing any other direction. This is due to the increased exposure of UV light directly from the sun.

A powder coated finish is more resistant to UV exposure. However, usually the fading of powder coating signage is the result of poor manufacturing.

Why do letters fall off from signs and can they be replaced?

The most likely cause of letters falling off a sign is due to poor installation methods, but wear and tear through small noise vibrations and the constant heating and cooling from the weather can also affect plastic fixings. It’s important to always use pan head screws to fix your plastic locators and to never over tighten the screws as this will cause the plastic to crack and weaken.

At Fabricut, we primarily use mechanical sign fixings as apposed to adhesives to ensure that the lettering remains secure. Although it is a nuisance when a letter becomes detached, all letters, including flat cut letters and built up letters are easily replaced.

Can I bulk buy signs and get a better price?

Yes, you can bulk buy your trade signs from Fabricut and we will offer you a reduced cost. Contact a member of our team to arrange your order or to see what other options we may have for you.

Can I get an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) from Fabricut?

At Fabricut, we are able to provide you with an NDA if you feel the need to obtain one and give your company peace of mind. Although, we are proud to have a trustworthy reputation and an NDA is not usually required.

What materials can I install a sign onto?

Any substrate that a sign is going to be mounted to should be checked prior to ordering. This is because each fixing method will differ for each substrate.

Brick, concrete, structural timbers and metals are usually all strong substrates perfect for signage. With Fabricut, we will send out one of our highly experienced trade sign installers to check the substrate you are looking to fix to.

Should I check for asbestos before installing a sign?

Luckily, Asbestos isn’t something really found in modern buildings and most interior signs should be fine. However, Asbestos is an extremely dangerous substance and common in older buildings.

We always recommend hiring asbestos specialists to check your premises for the presence of asbestos and to safely remove and dispose of it. Particular attention should be made to any sign that is going to be ceiling mounted or rooftop mounted.

Can I install a sign under a shop canopy?

Yes, it is sometimes possible to install a sign under a shop canopy. A site survey would be required to determine the space available and what bespoke bracket fabrication is needed in order to install a sign in that location.

What are RGB colour changing LED signs?

RGB simply stands for Red, Green & Blue and RGB LED’s are merely LED’s with those colour diodes (RGBW includes white). The colours of the sign can then usually be changed with a basic remote control in various combinations.

Alternatively, they can be connected to a PC using a DMX controller for a fully programmed sequence and light up at different times and/or fade through different colours, etc.