Both Coatings Are Popular Choices for Signage
When it comes to choosing the right coating for your signage, there are a plethora of options to consider. In particular, powder coat and spray paint are two of the most popular choices. Both methods have their own advantages and considerations, so it’s important to understand the differences between them in order for you to make an informed decision.
At Fabricut, we are committed to providing all our sign trade customers with the best solutions for their signage needs. That’s why we are here to guide you through the pros and cons of both powder coat and spray paint, helping you determine which option is truly better for your specific requirements.
Powder Coat: Durability and Versatility
Powder coating is a technique that involves applying a dry powder to electrically charged metal surfaces and then curing under heat, resulting in a tough and protective finish. There are several key benefits to choosing powder coat for your signage:
- Durability: Powder coating offers exceptional durability, making it resistant to scratches, chipping, and fading. This makes it an ideal choice for outdoor signage that needs to withstand the elements providing the sign is made from aluminium or mild steel.
- Versatility: Powder coat is available in a wide range of colours and finishes. At Fabricut, we can powder coat your signage in all standard RAL colours (from the RAL K7 Classic range) and suggest choosing either a gloss or satin finish as opposed to matt, as matt marks very easily.
However, it’s important to consider some potential downsides of powder coating as well:
- Limited application: Powder coating is ONLY suitable for metal surfaces, so if your signage is made of other materials like wood or plastic, then alternative coating options will need to be sourced.
- Initial investment: The equipment and expertise required for powder coating can make it a more costly option upfront if you’re looking to “DIY” it. It’s more of a commercial grade investment.
Spray Paint: Flexibility and Convenience
On the other hand, spray paint provides a different set of benefits that may be more suitable for certain signage projects:
- Flexibility: Spray paint allows for more intricate designs and greater flexibility in terms of artistic expression. It can be applied to a variety of materials beyond metal, making it a versatile option. At Fabricut, we use Lechler Plasticgrip paints that are custom colour matched to order and can go onto almost any surface.
- Convenience: Compared to powder coating, spray paint can sometimes offer a quicker turnaround time. Spray painting can allow for future touch-ups of scratches, etc.
However, there are a couple of factors that need to be considered when choosing spray paint for your signage:
- Durability: While spray paint can provide a satisfactory level of durability, it may not be as resistant to wear and tear as a powder coated finish. This is particularly important to keep in mind for any outdoor signage. However, the Lechler Plasticgrip that we use at Fabricut is very hardwearing and more than suitable for exterior use.
- Maintenance: Regular “DIY” spray paint may require periodic touch-ups to maintain its appearance and protect against deterioration. However, Lechler Plasticgrip should not deteriorate like regular spray paint, which is why we use it for commercial signage.
Making the Right Choice
Ultimately, the better option between powder coat and spray paint depends on your specific signage requirements and preferences. At Fabricut, we understand that every project is unique, and that’s why we offer a comprehensive range of coating solutions to cater for all needs. With our expertise and quick turnaround times, we are committed to ensuring your signage receives the highest quality finish, regardless of the coating method you choose.
Located in West London, Fabricut is conveniently positioned to serve businesses all across the nation. We pride ourselves on being a dependable partner for the sign industry, offering a personal touch and efficient service that you can rely on. Therefore, if you’re looking for a trusted source for all your signage manufacture, look no further.
Join the Fabricut family today and experience the benefits of working with a knowledgeable and experienced team. When you choose Fabricut, you’re choosing excellence in craftsmanship, a commitment to customer satisfaction and trade prices. Get in touch with us today to discuss your signage coating requirements. Let’s create something remarkable together for your clients.